We've just introduced a new feature in the Wakanda forum: A voting system that will replace the existing star ratings*.
The voting system will offer two main functionalities:
- To be able to vote for a thread or an individual response, and to order the topics of a forum by score, if desired.
- To reward users with experience points or reputation badges, depending on the types of votes they receive. This second part will be developed later.
So far the available functionalities are:
- Voting for a thread (the initial post) or a response. It's not the same to reward the original poster or the one who gave the most pertinent response.
- Voting positively (up) or negatively (down)
- In order to vote up, you must match one of the following conditions:
- You have been registered for more than 30 days
- You have received 5 or more votes.
- In order to vote down, you must have received 5 or more votes.
- Of course, you can't vote for yourself...
- In each thread, the best answer(s) is/are highlighted in yellow for quick identification
- We plan to add a function later on that will allow a reader to go directly to the best answer, which will save time in case of multi-page threads.
- In the thread list of a specific forum, a new column displays the score of the thread itself, as well as that of the best answer in the thread.
- Click on "Thread" or "Post" in the header to order the topic list by the corresponding criteria
- This works in ascending or descending order, of course.
That's all so far! The votes will be counted for each individual account for the next feature delivery.
Reminder: You'll need to be logged in the forum in order to vote.
(*) We'll maintain the existing star ratings for a while in order to transition to the new system.
If you want to try voting for a response to an original post, here is a response to test it on! Good feature, thanks!
Note that you can vote for any of the existing 4000 posts.
And you can vote for a response even if the first post of the thread has no vote.
It would be better to show how many Positive & negative responses a post got, rather than the net. For example, a post could get 5 positives and 5 negatives, and the result would show zero votes.
Secondly, why should one has to earn 5 points in order to vote down a post?
Note: If this forum is being maintained/developed by Wakanda team, I much rather to see their time spent on Wakanda and you can ignore my request.
But yes, something like "5/5" could be more informative than "0". It i mostly a question of balance between precision and quantity of informations. The data will be available internally, so we'll see with the experience which presentation could be more efficient... It could be an interesting preference...
Rules for up/down voting are little classic restriction. People should first spend few time on the forum and learn more about the community and the project before voting, even more before voting down... We hope meaningful votes. The rules might be updated if required.Secondly, why should one has to earn 5 points in order to vote down a post?
Don't worry, the Wakanda website is not developed by the same people than the Wakanda project itself ;-)Note: If this forum is being maintained/developed by Wakanda team, I much rather to see their time spent on Wakanda and you can ignore my request.
Former W3C Advisory Committee representative for 4D
Web Architect & Community manager
Nice feature will try to use this.